 Local / Australia / 581
Re: Pax Americana (was Re: Where did you lot spring from?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 00:04:52 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
Ack, I just had to get used to hearing colleagues from Israel talk about
having to
teach classes on Sunday.  ;)

OMG, I can't believe I forgot that. This three-day weekend is WAY too easy to
get used to! Sunday is, in Israel, a dreaded term, like Monday is here...

(but I manage to keep them mentally seperated by thinking of Sunday in the US
in English, and Yom-Rishon in Israel in Hebrew... Sunday = good, Yom Rishon =
bad, doesn't matter that they're the same thing! ;-)

Not to mention that I have to defend the IDF* :-) ...First of all I have to
defend the fact that I *have* to go there... then I have to explain the fact
that I *want* to go there...

You know, I had to do the same thing when I moved to New Jersey (insert "NJ"
for
"IDF").

LOL!

However, I think the pay in the IDF is better.

I greatly doubt it. Unless you sign up for more than the required time, you
get paid peanuts, literally... barely $75 a month unless you're in actual
combat-zones. Most soldiers come home to their parents whenever they leave
their base, 'coz it's pretty hard to live on that...

-Shiri