 Local / Australia / 542
Re: Where did you lot spring from?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 22:36:03 GMT

"Paul Baulch" <paul@vic.bigpond.net.au> writes:
Being an adult ... I feel irritation at being hampered by guidelines
regarding profanity that are so far into the wholesome family end of
the spectrum as to feel, frankly, ridiculous.

But not everyone here is an adult.  Although I sometimes swear casually
when talking, I agree with Todd that forbidding profanity improves the
community's image and makes it a nicer place to participate.  It's often
much harder to tell through writing whether the use of profanity is
casual or intentionally degrading than it is through speech.

I am forced to use a limited set of the most firmly US-entrenched
slang such as "darned",

Last time I heard the word "darned" or "danged" was prolly in 6th grade
(6 years ago) :)  However, I wouldn't really want LUGNET to sound like
the hallways of my school...

The second aspect is what I see as a severe reluctance to give
constructive criticism.

Here I agree.  People, please don't be afraid to hurt my feelings.
There's so much more I can do with suggestions for improvement,
criticisms of my designs or even _specific_ praise than I can do with
"Wow, that's wonderful!"  (Not that I don't appreciate compliments :)
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht................BramL@JUNO.com
http://www.chuh.org/Students/Bram-Lambrecht/