 Local / Australia / 496
Re: Where did you lot spring from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 23:27:41 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:
<snip>
As a whinging pom, I don't feel particularly 'alienated' by US references
though, how about you Aussies? :)

Not so much alienated as peeved to the hilt with all the service options given
to the US that are not offered worldwide. I'm a moderate person, but there
have been times when I've made my computer blush due to the colourful language
I've emitted after reading a few posts, mostly about S@H, LEGO Outlet stores
and most recently LEGO Direct. Even the Dacta shipping policy struck a raw
nerve on one occasion. But the recent LEGO Direct developments are a real kick
in the guts for Australia (and NZ, and everyone else who doesn't live in the
US). Sorry if I upset the new Lugnet/TLC relationship, but the last post from
Brad Justus really gave me the irrits.

I think Todd and Suz have done a marvelous job of creating a neutral zone for
all AFOL's to meet in cyberspace, where international boundaries can be
broken. Having the .loc groups is a stoke of genius IMO, as it still allows
people from different regions to "talk shop" without worrying about cultural
or language barriers, and gives the place a more personal feel.

Better get off my soap box before I break something.

I'm in agreement with Peter here. Initially I didn't have many expectations
about Lego Direct, but after the latest announcement there is almost no hopes
of anything beneficial for anyone not in America or Europe (in the foreseeable
future).

I think the design of Lugnet overall is brilliant. The strucutres is not
biased in anyway towards any certain groups/associations etc. The feeling of
US-Centric is by the fact the majority of users are from the US. Here's a
deal: All non-US people will put with US news/comments/whinging as long as all
US people put up with all non-US news/comments/whinging.

The one issue that is possibly emphasising a "US-Centric" feel is incorrect
posting, Benjamins example is a good example. Whats a Walmart? (I know don't
worry).

Keep on Tracking
Santosh
(Trust me I will become a member very shortly, just need to finish my
industrial training and return to being a bludging university student with
plenty of free time ;0)