 Local / Australia / 574
Re: Pax Americana (was Re: Where did you lot spring from?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 20:27:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway wrote:

In lugnet.loc.au, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
By the way, for the .au folks, have you heard any of these awful
"Outback Steakhouse" commercials they have up here in the eastern
US?  The supposed "essence" of Australia--Paul Hogan, wallabies,
and Men at Work, mostly--has been canned and parleyed into a good
-sized STOW-restaurant (STOW=Stuff* Tacked On Walls) empire up
here.

Kinda like the Lone Star franchise out here by the looks of it. Icky
at the best of times.

Heh.  The Lone Star franchise seems to exist everywhere *except* the
Lone Star State (Texas, USA).  So yes, your having Lone Star
restaurants in Sydney is exactly analogous to our having Outback
Steakhouses in Houston.  Ugh.

It's depressing, and IIRC it was started by an Australian emigre
catering to US myths about Australia.

I still get asked about Kangaroos in the middle of Sydney and pet
Koala's in the back yard, and they're quite serious when they ask!

And every one of Houston's 4 million people (okay, Houston + local
urbanized area) lives on a ranch and rides a horse to work -- not!
People have this image of Houston as a hick town, but IMHO it's quite a
diverse, integrated, interesting, pleasant place to live.[1]

One myth that's true though is that Cadbury's chocolate is better
than Hershey's (and I can speak from a tasting experience). <GD&R>

Mmmm, Cadbury's!  And say, doesn't the Violet Crumble (yum!) come from
.au?  ... sure does, check out <URL:http://www.violetcrumble.com/>,
which is not the official site but instead some enterprising person
from California who ships it within the USA.  I can't find an official
site for Hoadley's; is there one?

[1] ...but not a Vacation Destination, i.e. you would not choose to
visit Houston unless you know someone here.

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX