 Local / Australia / 502
Re: Pax Americana (was Re: Where did you lot spring from?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 01:55:50 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
Strange isn't it how 'international' now seems to mean 'US and maybe
elsewhere if you're lucky', isnt it.

[Maybe it's the way I was brought up, but I can't stand the way that
american spelling [and culture (or lack of :) )] is replacing the Australian
[and probably most other nations]].

<snip>
As a whinging pom, I don't feel particularly 'alienated' by US references
though, how about you Aussies? :)

The main reason we don't feel alienated by US cultural dominance is because
we're raised on it. When 75% of our world view comes from America, and has
done so for the past couple of generations, it's not surprising that we are
fairly comfortable with their culture -- even if our own perspective is
narrowed as a consequence. For a brilliant exposition of the Australian
postcolonial predicament read "The Unusual Life of Tristan Smith" by Peter
Carey (the guy who wrote "Oscar and Lucinda").

On the other hand America gives us:
a) some measure of military security (allegedly)
b) technology like Lugnet
c) some worthwhile entertainment

Still, I'm not sure how deeply we want to go into geopolitics, when we can be
distracted by a cool (non-American) toy.

--dave

--dave