 General / 7060
Re: Train doors and windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:50:07 GMT

Adam Howard <abhoward10@hotmail.com> wrote:
people setting this up, I pulled my pledge.  I agree with Mike on this.  I
think it is important to open this up publicly and let everyone know what's
going on so that we might agree on something that would benefit all of us.

Just to be clear, either you don't agree with me or I'm
misunderstanding what you're saying here and later on.

I have absolutely NO desire to change, adjust, alter, or anything
else, this deal going through with Larry's coordination.  He's only
doing a deal that involves train doors and windows?  Fine, if that's
what he and others want to spend their money on.

What I DON'T want anyone to think I want to do is piggyback on this
deal these guys seem to have put a good deal of thought into and try
to make them change it to include pitchforks, forrest babes, or
anything else I might want.

What I could like to know is how this is being done, what sort of
process it is, etc.  Then I might be able to put together my own
consortium of Castle nuts to get what WE want.

Let this group of people get what they can get, I just don't see the
reason for all this cloak and dagger stuff.  If the deal is on the up
and up, and TLG has at least tacitly approved it, why not discuss it
if there's even a shred of a chance of someone else being able to pull
it off in the future?

To be honest, I'd probably throw $500 into this just to make sure I
got the small amount of train doors and windows I might need at some
point, knowing that I could turn around over time and sell the
remaining majority to cover the ones I kept.  I'd do that except I
have about as many sets as an average TRU sitting in a room in my home
right now that we're slowly breaking up, keeping what we want, then
auctioning the rest.  My wife would kill me if I added to that pile
unnecessarily.

I suggest:

1.  People pledge an amount of money that they can afford, be it $1 to
$10,000.

Who is going to do the paperwork, the accounting?  I gotta be honest,
I'm about to change my rules for my own auction site to preven random
small orders, especially from overseas.  Where's the benefit in
spending even 2 minutes dealing with something that involves a dollar
or two?  My time is certainly worth a lot more than that.

2.  Each pledge will be accompanied by a list of parts that you want the
most.  This list could be as long as you want.  But you should place your
most desired at the top.
3.  People who pledge $100 or more will be the ones who decide which parts
are ordered.
4.  Parts will be ordered in lots of 500.

Hrmmm..... sounds like 4. would be much more likely to be dictated by
the seller of the parts than the buyer.  What if the minimum lot size
is 2,000?

Personally I think this would be the most ideal solution to our 'once in a
life-time' deal with TLG.  Please send comments.

I suggest you try to do what you suggested.  I'd be willing to help
you with some of the logistics, and I'd certainly be willing to
buy-in.  I doubt VERY seriously TLG would consider doing a run of 500
units of any piece, though, which probably means you'd have to change
a lot of what you're thinking from the beginning.

I say do what you've suggested and see if you get a favorable response
from TLG.  If not, people are only out a few minutes worth of thinking
of what part(s) they'd like, and nothing else.  I definitely say leave
Larry's consortium out of it.  They already seem to have a working
deal.  I'd like to learn more about it, but I don't want to change it.

--
The parts you want without a bunch of crap?
Run your own LEGO auctions for free! (still in Beta)