 General / 40218
Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 22:52:17 GMT

"Matt Hein" <Pyrokid17@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:H7HEoG.n2u@lugnet.com...

I've heard about Simeraillion...some fantasy geeks at
my school tried to 'convert' me to Tolkeinism. I read
a few pages, and somehow the mysticism and magic just
didn't catch on to me.

Maybe because the Silmarillion is so vast (and quite ancient in style), and
sketches the creation/world/history background for LOTR - The whole Bilbo +
LOTR story is told in 26 pages of S.

I think the right approach is to read 'Bilbo' first, then LOTR, and if you
get interested in the Tolkien world, make a stab at S. - but don't try to
start with it!

J.R.R Tolkien has said (written) that all but two things mentioned (as side
remarks, names, etc.) in LOTR has a story/history of it's own, that can be
found in S. or other (unpublished) manuscripts.

That is: every language, every mountain name, every person, every historical
battle mentioned...

Those things that are just mentioned in a small song in LOTR, may be a long
story in S.

I re-read LOTR about once a year (don't skip the Appendices!), S. maybe once
every fifth, and Unfinished Tales, The Book of Lost Tales, etc (those are
collections of unfinished, older, manuscripts by Tolkien, heavily commented
by his son Christopher, quite stiff (word?) reading, but interesting) in
between.

Oh, well, I guess I'm a Tolkien fan...
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden