 General / 24903
Re: Finished Statue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 01:52:42 GMT

Tom Reed wrote:

In lugnet.general, James Powell writes:
A Question to those people who have the Statute of Liberty, how did you find
it?  Is it worth spending $300(CDN) on getting it or not?  Would it work as the
centerpiece of a town?  (That's what I'm thinking of getting one for)

James Powell

I think it was worth getting.  I like the new green color and I'm impressed
with the array of bricks you get with it.  If I didn't like the new color,
then I probably wouldn't think it was worth getting.  As for the actual
statue, I'm not wild about the design.  It's okay, but I wouldn't have
bought it for the "Liberty" image alone!
Would it work for a town layout?  I'm not sure!  At first I thought it too
large to be used in a town.  It stands 33 1/2 inches from the floor.  But in
thinking about it and comparing it to a minifig, it might be closer than I
would have thought.  It may actually be too small, if you figure a minifig
would be climbing inside and up to the top.  I put a minifig up next to it
and to give you an idea of the scale, a minifig with the feet lined up with
the bottom of the chin would have the top of it's head even with the center
of the eye sockets.  I hope that helps!

As the other post mentioned, it probably is a bit too small, but it's
not that bad. Also, the head is very cramped. If I remember right, only
5 or 6 people could be standing in the head and looking out the windows
(which are where the 1x1 cylinders are on the crown). The last several
flights of stairs up through the neck and into the head were quite small
as I remember (and I was a kid at the time). The stairs were probably
only about 18-24" wide (but there is more space than walking in that
narrow a corridor, since the contours of the statue go out from the
stairs). I think I have heard mention that the stairs up to the torch
are even tighter (I visited before the refurbishing so the torch was
closed).

Frank