 General / 24779
Re: It's here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:29:38 GMT

Jennifer L. Boger wrote:

My statue of liberty is here!!!! huzzah!  it's huge and arrived in a
very odd package... much like the mosaic box, only like 8 times the
size, inside are 4 plain white boxes numbered 1-4..

Yea, I got mine the other day (it might have actually arrived the same
day a letter arrived telling me it would be delayed...).

People breaking this down for parts will love it. All the parts which
come in large quantities come one type of part to a bag. One nice thing,
there are a good number of plates. There are structures which are built
out of 3 layers of plates because the model needed a 1xN brick which has
as it's only point of contact with the rest of the model part of one
side. I haven't built it yet, just browsed the instructions.

It was interesting to see that the box is not a typical LEGO set box,
and is only printed black and white. This thing definetlt rivals the
Mega Bloks carrier. The box is fairly tightly packed, and is heavy. I'd
say that more than half the volume is 2x4 and longer bricks. Too bad it
isn't priced more like a tub or bucket. It's got to have a packing cost
which is close to that of 4 buckets (the 4 inside boxes), perhaps even
cheaper since most of the bags contain a single type of part in a single
color (which probably underutilizes the packing machines - well not
really, if the packing machines have a fixed number of hoppers, you just
fill all the hoppers with one type of brick, and divy up the quantity
between the hoppers, of course the packing machine may run faster if it
uses less hoppers, but I'd have to assume that having an even
distribution of parts amongst the hoppers would give the highest
throughput since you are pipelining the operation).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com