 General / 24796
Re: It's here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:06:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok writes:
Jonathan Lopes wrote:
Ok, what are we going to call the color?
Green...

Muted Green?
Green-Gray?
Washed-Green?
Verdis-Green?
Only people with the parts in hand should actually get to vote.

-Jon

People should bear in mind that there are blue & red versions of this color
as well. i.e. muted blue, muted red. Whatever name you chose you might want
to apply it to these other colors as well.
I do have the parts btw, but I will let others decide the name.

The word "green" should be in the name, I guess Antique Green would be good.
I know that we now have several shades of green.
How's this:   Green,  Light Green, Turquoise Green, Antique Green......
(pale blue, pale red......)

IMHO, I think that we should use the basic color name as part of the
descriptive, but we should come to some kind of agreement so we can get ready
for the next new color!  :-)

Didn't work that way for Tan... (and I'm still sticking with Teal for the
torquoise green)
As long as we're at it - I've been puzzling over the current Belville Blue -
which looks like Blue-Purple.

There seems to be 3 apporaches to color naming -
1) Name them Light, Dark, Lighter, Darkest - which works well for colors of
the same 'tone'
2) Name them after the dictionary color name - Verdigris, Teal, Tan, Aqua,
Peach, Mauve, Burgundy.... This opens the door for competitive names ... but
it has worked in the past.
3) Name them with a descriptive name tied to the base color. This allows
Light, Dark, etc. It allows such things as Antique Green, and Bright Green.
You can also use such things as Blue-Purple, Blue-Green, etc

We'll probably end up with a hodge-podge of names, but for this one, I'd
glaly support Mossy-Green (as my first preference) and Antique Green (as a
second preference since it will get used on a lot of "new" parts - eg Star Wars)

FWIW - TLG will probably take a big clue from what ever we settle on.  They
use numbers as well as names for their colors, so names can switch while the
number remains constant. (Let just call this "47" :-))

-Jon