 General / 20055
Re: A Parental Perspective on Juniorisation and Being the Strongest Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 20:15:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler writes:

Quality, of course, is more nebulous
issue, especially considering the slow but steady improvement in plastic
quality of MegaBloks.  In addition, MegaBloks currently makes better use of
basic bricks in its set designs, relying more on 2x4 bricks than Lego.
Specifically, the MegaBloks Combat Tank ($9.99) contains more 2x4 bricks and
is arguably better designed than any recent Lego set of similar cost.

<snip>

For brick quantity at a good price, MegaBloks far outstrips Lego in the
current product lines.  I have been quite lucky with the quality of MegaBloks
I've bought over the years, so I don't really notice any appreciable
difference, though others identify certain shortcomings of the clone brands.

I can only agree here.  My wife and I have had nothing but success building
with the "Planetoids" and the "Creature Seekers" sets.  We think
that "Supersonic Mission" is a GREAT set, built with nothing fancier than some
inverse slopes, and "Scuba Quest" is a better submarine than TLG has produced
in several years, IMO.  We like "Planetoids" the best, and the "GyroFighter"
has been sitting on the shelf since last August, because we can't bear to take
it apart, we like it so much.

--james parkin