 Dear LEGO / 2318
Re: A Parental Perspective on Juniorisation and Being the Strongest Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:19:58 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jeff Thompson writes:
The reason you put the Duplo away was, largely, because it
is not compatible with LEGO, at least in the kid's mind.

Not just in "the kid's mind".  There are actually relatively few System pieces
that fit on top of a Duplo piece.  My child tries once in a while, but usually
gets frustrated and gives up, because the piece he wanted to put on won't fit,
or won't work.

Pretty much, kids are smart, and once they are given the better
alternative, they aren't so interested in the big bulky "baby blocks"
any more, any more than we Adult Fans are.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

Basically saying the various types of bricks are compatible is simply a
marketing 'check mark', not something that anyone playing with the bricks
cares about or does.  But it might get a parent to buy the next step up.

...[discussion on juniorization]...

I have an (admittedly unrealistic) answer to juniorization that I could only
*wish* LEGO would try sometime.  Rather than creating these pieces that are
hated by most everyone, but seem to solve a problem for LEGO, (otherwise they
wouldn't have created them, right?) what I would love to see is LEGO selling
pre-assembled models.  This way, if it's too hard for kids to put together
a 'complicated' model, they don't have to...it's already just one piece.
(Playmobile, anyone?)  But anyone that wants to just use the bricks can take
apart the model after they are finished playing with it, and use it.  As I
said, unrealistic, and I don't expect it to happen.  But it sure would make
town interesting again. :-)

--
  David Schilling