 Dear LEGO / 2288
Re: A Parental Perspective on Juniorisation and Being the Strongest Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:21:54 GMT

"Jeff Johnston" <sakura@mediaone.net> wrote in message

[snipped a little]
If the parents aren't
into LEGO, they're probably not thinking about the 'replay value'.

(And I think it's even worse in Aussieland, where this thread started
out.)

Maybe it's local or maybe Europe has a longer LEGO tradition, but here in
the Netherlands I feel that 'LEGO' is concidered the best 'replay value' toy
available, though it's also concidered expensive...
Also I'm pretty sure that 9 out of 10 households in the Netherlands have at
least one set of LEGO (in Germany it's probably the same). Almost everyone I
know played with LEGO as a child. Most still have their LEGO tucked away for
when their children "are ready for it". There aren't many garage sales for
LEGO in the Netherlands because noone will part with it for either nostalgic
value or as toy for their own kids. I think this will cause a new impulse in
LEGO sales when that generation starts buying sets as extra for their old
collection...
Oh, and I have never seen a shop that carry a clone brand of building bricks
(heck, I have never even seen a 'megablok').

--Frank