 Dear LEGO / 2274
Re: A Parental Perspective on Juniorisation and Being the Strongest Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:08:26 GMT

I must say that I agree 100% with Deidre's point about compatibility between
Lego brands (Primo, Duplo, System).  My wife and I gave some Duplo to our
daughter on her first birthday.  It was quite a while before she put her
first pieces together but once she did her enjoyment of the toy increased
exponentially.  We were considering giving her some more for her second
birthday when I made a great find on one of the old For Her System buckets
(for myself).  My wife convinced me to give them to our daughter and she's
never touched the Duplo again.

Lego may tout the fact that Duplo works with System but in my limited
experience (my daughter and my brother who is 14 years younger than I) I
have never seen that put into action.  My feeling is that children that make
the switch to System (I'd say that this occurs between the age of 3-5, my
daughter being an exception in this case) aren't able to recognize that
these parts work together.  They may look similar to them, but I really
don't believe that they have the cognitive ability to recgonize that they
can be played with together, as the difference in size seems to be too great
an issue to resolve.

I also agree with her thoughts regarding juniorization but would like to add
a thought to the discussion.  One of the biggest obsticales (sp?) to
becomming the "leading brand among families with children" is that well over
half their market is ignored at retail outlets (here in the US)...the girls.
Look at the Lego shelf next time you're at the toy store...what is there
that would keep girls coming back?  I know that for my part there's nothing
there I'd want to get for my daughter.  Until Lego addresses this imbalance
I'd say that they'll have a tough time realizing their stated goal.  They
may have brand RECGONITION but brand LOYALTY...not likely.

Will

Lego Beach Department of Emergency Services
www.crosswinds.net/~hokie