 Dear LEGO / 2281
Re: A Parental Perspective on Juniorisation and Being the Strongest Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:49:06 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jeff Johnston writes:
(Removing .loc.au because it's not really Aussie-specific anymore, if it
ever was)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Will Hess writes:
Lego may tout the fact that Duplo works with System but in my limited
experience (my daughter and my brother who is 14 years younger than I) I
have never seen that put into action.

Well, Todd did some great things with Duplo dinos...but I agree, there's
not much *reason* to make them work together.

I also agree with her thoughts regarding juniorization but would like to add
a thought to the discussion.  One of the biggest obsticales (sp?) to
becomming the "leading brand among families with children" is that well over
half their market is ignored at retail outlets (here in the US)...the girls.
Look at the Lego shelf next time you're at the toy store...what is there
that would keep girls coming back?  I know that for my part there's nothing
there I'd want to get for my daughter.  Until Lego addresses this imbalance
I'd say that they'll have a tough time realizing their stated goal.  They
may have brand RECGONITION but brand LOYALTY...not likely.

I wouldn't mind seeing stuff aimed at girls that wasn't so...well...
Barbie-esque.  But that's just personal.  I find the amount of pink to be
offputting, and the suggestion that everything feminine is pink kind of
sets my teeth on edge.

Agreed.  Pink pieces are gross, and can't be reused in a normal town without
being noticed for being recycled Barbie-esque sets.  If placed next to any
other colour, it looks wrong.

My other big problem with the Scala/Belville sets is summed up best in the
words of the NLNLF when she got to that part of the catalog: "There's no
building!"  It seems like the sets specifically aimed at girls have far
fewer pieces, so you can't do as much with them.  In some ways, they miss
what I see as the 'point' of LEGO even more than the Town Jr. sets do.

The dead Paradisa line was pretty good to build.  My sister had a collection of
these, (including a lighthouse, beach changeroom, playground, ice cream shop)
and we built them together until she decided she didn't like Lego, and gave her
collection to me.  It is annoying to find those gross pink plates and totally
un-compatable mint-green baseplates in my parts bucket, but they did have good
parts and were fun to build.

I wonder how well the older System sets (which seemed to me to be a bit
more gender-neutral, with shops and houses and things rather than
policemen and firemen and construction workers) sold to girls, in
comparison to the current ones?

And on a related note, why does LEGO seem to be so reluctant to sell their
girl-targetted lines in the US?  Or is it the retailers who are reluctant
to carry them?

My guess is that retailers won't carry them.