 Dear LEGO / 2270
Re: A Parental Perspective on Juniorisation and Being the Strongest Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:33:29 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
**Warning - this is very long! **...<and therefore snipped>

That was very well said, and confirms much of what I have thought even though
I am not a parent.

It always comes down to cost, doesn't it?  I mean the continued success of Hot
Wheels must surely be its price -- one can whimsically purchase a car at will
since they are generally under a $1 USD.  There isn't much in that range where
Lego is concerned unless you are frequenting the various outlet stores. And my
point is that suggested retail for the average Hot Wheels is something like a
$1 USD ANYWAY -- which is VERY unlike Lego where the lowest suggested retail
price is probably around $2 USD and quickly goes up in price after that.

After my experience with my neice and nephew, where they LITERALLY trashed
some of my classic space and lego babes (and these are kids that collect
Barbies in sealed boxes, and baseball cards in protective covers -- yeesh! I
thought I could trust them), I am not likely to spend money on giving them a
toy they can't respect for whatever reason.  And not respecting it means they
simply don't have the right elements to build with later on -- unless I spend
more money on it for them -- whereupon they lose some again -- ad
infinitum...

No thanks!  Unless the prices fall, the Lego is for me -- and the kids can
play with the Sony Playstation -- and believe me, its not Lego Land that they
want to play with either...

-- Richard