 Dear LEGO / 2309
Re: A Parental Perspective on Juniorisation and Being the Strongest Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.it
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 06:33:49 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Marco Berti writes:

Hi

Ok I am a lego fan but I have a 6 years old boy that loves star wars.
After a loong time of pressing request I bought him last Xmas a Hasbro X-wing
that in Italy has more or less the same price of my lego X-wing (that is true
is much smaller)
He played two hours with the Hasbro X-wing and then he took my X-wing and
started to play with it, "modifying" it for all the missions needs.
After six month he is still playing with "my" lego x-wing and the Hasbro • X.wing
lies forgotten somewhere in my house.
Which had the better price to play-time ratio?

Personally, I am not familiar with either set so I can only base my comments
on what I've read here (I don't even know if the Hasbro one is available
in Australia)

You have the benefit of being an AFOL, so you know which is the better buy.
The person on the street may not.  So, if they are roughly the same price
and the Hasbro one is bigger most non-AFOL parents would probably choose the
Hasbro (as others have said) unless the child in question especially asked
for the Lego.

Marco's son is lucky that his Dad had the better model already :)
But let's say that Johnny's Mum has bought him the Hasbro set, and a couple
of weeks later Johnny sees that Freddy next door has the equivalent Lego set
and would rather have that.  Is Johnny's Mum going to turn around
and buy the Lego set as well?  Some parents might, but most wouldn't.  It
is even questionable that they'd learn from this.  Of course, this comes
back to prices involved and the disposable incomes of the people in question.

I suspect it is probably hard for most Lugnetters (parents or not) to put
themselves in the shoes of non AFOLs, me included.  We all know that, in
general, Lego is a great toy all round.  Because I know that Lego is worth
it, while I cringe at the price and patiently wait for the sales (and as
an AFOL I know when to expect them, other parents may not), I still buy it.
Unfortunately most parents aren't AFOLs and that's where the problems come
in, they judge Lego on different criteria to most of us, and in Australia
the biggest one is the $$$$.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com