 General / 17958
Warning: May contain offensive language! Was Re: Some US-like things about LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 04:10:36 GMT

Paul Baulch wrote:

Being an adult, living in a
culture that is NOT an American culture (despite being, as people say,
somewhat Americanised), I feel irritation at being hampered by guidelines
regarding profanity that are so far into the wholesome family end of the
spectrum as to feel, frankly, ridiculous. If I wish to give any emotionally
emphasis or expressiveness I am forced to use a limited set of the most
firmly US-entrenched slang such as "darned", and can only use words such as
"God" in a religious sense (or for reference as I just did). In my culture
we say "bloody" about as often as USians seem to use "darned", but of course
my culture is represented by a minority on LUGNET. That's a bit ironic,
because I would guess that it's an overly-vocal and overly-moralistic
minority of USians on LUGNET who have pushed the colourful language
guidelines so far into the colourless. Oh well, it was either them or me
gets inconvenienced either way. I guess it's me then. :-(

Cheer up, Paul, you may get a chuckle out of this story.  Okay, so I'm driving
along the road (in Northern California, USA) all properly in my Volvo station
wagon with my four- and six-year-old kids safely buckled in their seats, and I'm
listening to the radio (with that smug feeling that I'm being such a good mom)
when I become aware of giggling in the back seat and I hear, "Gotcha...  Damn!"
and more giggling and a few seconds later, "Gotcha...  Damn!"  again.  So I look
in the rear view mirror to see what's going on, and I see my kids throwing
pieces of okaki (Japanese rice crackers) that I had given them to snack on in
the air and trying to catch them with their mouths, and every time they miss (I
don't think they ever didn't miss!) saying..., well, I won't offend anyone
further by repeating what they said.

And where did they pick up that game?

See <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/boo-boo/>.

BTW, I had to bookmark that page after my four-year-old, quite cranky because it
was almost bedtime after a very busy day, starting crying for "Boo-Boo Kitty".
I was trying to think of where he might have been exposed to Laverne and Shirley
reruns (and why on earth he would suddenly be wanting to watch one) before it
finally dawned on me that he wanted to see Todd and Suzanne's kitty again.  (And
no, I did not read the captions to my kids-- my six-year-old was perfectly
capable of reading them on his own-- and out loud to his brother!)

Maggie C.
(quintessentially American, but perhaps not your model mom!)