 General / 15262
Re: Model Shop Inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:26:03 GMT

For those of you who were hoping that LEGO Direct might be able to sell rare LEGO
pieces (like light blue bricks and plates), this info from retired LEGO employee
John Kelly sheds new light onto this.  I hope that Brad Justus is able to get rare
parts as part of the bulk sales inventory.

Gary Istok

John Kelly wrote:

There are multiple model shops across TLG, the one in Enfield does get most of
it's bricks from down the road.  As a general rule, only the shops that are
designing/building for the theme parks have access to the really rare pieces
in any type of quantity.

I retired about 6 years ago, so any changes since then I would not be aware of.

Also, storage room is at a preminum in the Enfield shop (Or it was before the
great purge last summer when the staff went from ~35 to 9.)  Most of the
bricks we kept in quantity were all basic elements since that's what a
majority of what we needed was.

-john

In lugnet.dear-lego, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Tom Stangl writes:
Does that mean there are still K8s of light blue bricks and plates laying
around there that we might talk them out of?  ;-)

I say that because there are all SORTS of pieces at LLC in light blue that
never came in a production set, and aren't used in high #s AT LLC either.

Another example - trans-dark-blue minifig heads used in ONE model at LLC - if
they had to order 20+ K8s, they've GOT to have a few boxes laying around.
Those would make KILLER rotating lights for the top of a larger police car!

john kelly wrote:
<big snip>

Doesn't the 'Ultimate LEGO Book' have pictures of LLC buildings being built at
the model shops in Denmark?

I don't think the Enfield model shop builds anything for LLC - the build stuff
for the Imagination Centers; for the McDonalds, 'Yoda' and similar promotions;
and for Target, Toys 'r' Us, etc...

The Enfield shop probably gets 99% of their bricks from just down the road at
the Enfield moulding facility - they are pretty much limited to 'current
production run' parts.

JohnG, GMLTC
(erase the '.nospam' to reply...)

(Fut set to lugnet.general)