 Dear LEGO / 1575
Re: Brad Justus...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:04:15 GMT

Dean Husby wrote in message <38B216BE.ED52CF50@akasa.bc.ca>...
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

K8's may be a bit big, I may be exaggerating for effect, but a bulk
operation has to make money for TLC. Further, it has to make more money
than the other things that TLC might invest in or it's a bad use of
capital. Solve that problem or forget about it. IMHO.

The one thing I think people are missing is this.

TLC must be careful not to make the Bulk ordering too easy for the • consumer.
If I got all the special bits I needed I wouldn't be buying all the dud • sets (Or
multiples of sets) to get a few good parts... Who's going to buy all the • clearance
sets if not us?

Well, all they have to do is make sure their return on investment for
selling bulk bricks is as good as or better than for sets. Of it happens
that a significant percentage of the buyers start buying bulk bricks, well,
they won't need as many set designers. Because of the various costs of set
design and production, bulk bricks (in the right quantities) should be able
to be priced cheaper per brick than sets, and still meet or exceed the ROI
for sets. Given a good ROI, TLC won't even have to care if the bulk brick
buyers start selling sets using the bricks.

follow-ups to lugnet.market.theory

Frank