 Dear LEGO / 1583
Re: megabloks answer our requests (Re: Brad Justus...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:11:37 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Joseph Gonzalez writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti writes:
--snipped--
... MegaBloks is doing a great job with more traditional
brick construction methods and at a fraction of the cost -- check out the
purple/orange Monster Truck, the khaki tank/helicopter set, and the
flourescent colors bucket, look at the value for the money! • --snipped--

Pssst, hey kid,  I have a secret -- I know who REALLY reads Lugnet, Ritvik
reads Lugnet.  I wrote to them, they wrote back.  I wrote them about Lugnet
and RTL.  I see that Ritvik is implementing what AFOL have asked for.in the
dictionary!

gotta throw my two cents in here and admit that i seriously believe
megabloks is answering the afol's requests.  i picked up the smaller tank model
(around 300 pieces for $10.00) and the battleship model (around 800 pieces for
$20.00) and i'm quite pleased with both of these models.  (reviews to show up
somewhere in the near future.)

awesome numbers of pieces in each set at a VERY affordable price.  also, it's
incredible how the company could have easily passed out a lot of 4x8, 4x10,
4x12 plates but instead do the construction with a larger number of 2x4 plates.

true, the bricks don't have the nice "shiny" quality and there are still some
points in designs that could use some improvement, but the company i would neve
even have LOOKED at before is getting a larger portion of my hobby-money then
they used to get.

..joseph g

With all of the positive comments that I'm reading about Megabloks, I'll have to
take a second look at them.  I sincerely hope that Lego is reading this thread.
Memo to Lego: Does it mean anything to you that some of your most loyal fans are
at the point of diverting a portion of their disposable income to your
competitors?  I'm the type of consumer that usually doesn't give a company a 2nd
chance.  Why should I?  You burn me once...shame on you.  You burn me
twice...shame on me.  When all I see are juniorized sets, I'm not spending any
more money on Lego.  Oh sure, I'll still create with what I have.  But thus
endeth your profits from me.  I know, I'm not even a blip on your radar.  But
there you have it.  Give us back non-juniorized bricks, and so many problems are
solved.  From the AFOLs, at least, the profits that you shall garnish shall
overwhelm you.  I realize that the problem of how to capture kids who only know
electronic games is a formidable one.  But, I'll wager non-junior shall be more
successful with that demographic group.  As I see it, a great source of profits
from your company comes from the generational tradition of building with bricks.
In my family, I'm a first generation builder.  But I've handed the torch to the
2nd: a 4-year-old who just got so many sets for Christmas, that I'd bet it would
make some hard-core auction people here blush.  (But Uncle James here wouldn't,
and didn't, spend a nickle on any of that overpriced juniorized nonsense that
graces 75% of the Lego aisle.)  Give us a reason to pass this tradition down, to
help you earn money for decades to come.