 Dear LEGO / 1569
Re: Brad Justus...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:05:17 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Larry Pieniazek writes:
You're not going to get what you're asking for, it would bankrupt the company.

Then it will bankrupt the company anyway, because if they think kids want
either this junior junk, or their unusually lame CD-ROM games -- then their
whole marketing theory is wrong.  They need to get back to brick basics and
pronto.  TLC's number one goal should be to satisfy builder whimsy.

I can plan ahead well enough. Can you, Richard?

Baby, I can plan ahead -- believe it!  The Question is: Can TLC?

Look at MegaBloks, the public cleaned the shelves at TRU of their stuff here
in the Bay Area, CA while many a Lego set languished there with a still
ridiculously high "sticker shock" price on it.  Look at the new MegaBloks
sets, some are starting to look pretty darn cool to these eyes -- and, in
fact, I buy them (Heck, I bought them when the bricks weren't sticking
together so well, so imagine my interest now that they are doing a pretty good
imitation of quality control.  And to make sure this is the longest
paranthetical note on lugnet, I would like to add that Lego brick quality is
getting appallingly bad -- ripples, already pre-scuffed bricks, rounded edges,
etc. Blecchh!).  And MegaBloks is doing a great job with more traditional
brick construction methods and at a fraction of the cost -- check out the
purple/orange Monster Truck, the khaki tank/helicopter set, and the
flourescent colors bucket, look at the value for the money!  At this rate, I
can see who will win this war.  Only the Star Wars and Technic sets, still a
great deal for what you are getting, stand between Ritvik and total victory in
the construction blocks game.

Pssst, hey kid,  I have a secret -- I know who REALLY reads Lugnet, Ritvik
reads Lugnet.  I wrote to them, they wrote back.  I wrote them about Lugnet
and RTL.  I see that Ritvik is implementing what AFOL have asked for. I think
you should be buying the "good stuff" and forget about brand loyalty as long
as TLC essentially ignores us.  (Man, it would be SO COOL if Ritvik people
would actually speak up here!)  Now go away before your mother sees you
talking to me.

I don't care if Lego Direct wants to hire some of you "wannabe-TLC" nuts to
portion out K8 boxes, fine go ahead -- I just think that ultimately unless the
parts service will work for some kid who wants 50-100 of some part, they are
lost!  At K8 levels some members of lugnet couldn't themselves afford a bulk
order, I would guess.  The point is not to supply a meager handful of always
over-eager enthusiasts with bricks, the point should be to reinvigorate
interest in their most famously branded product -- Lego construction bricks.

I think they can do it by themselves, but I don't care if they hire you,
Larry...

=)

Maybe I won't get what I want.  But then, neither will TLC.  Hey, even Barbie
took a bath last year -- and they think Belville is going to compete with that
marketing juggernaut?

I am laughing already and I will surely be the last to do so as well...

-- Richard (They call me Mr. Vitriol)

Note: this is a family forum that makes you look words up in the dictionary!