 Dear LEGO / 1564
Re: Brad Justus...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:43:17 GMT

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:26:12 GMT, "Richard Marchetti"
<blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mike Stanley writes:
Let em charge whatever they want and implement whatever kind of
minimum quantity policies as well.  They'll keep true fanatics happy
and they'll keep the parts auction crowd in business redistributing to
smaller buyers.

I have to disagree with this pretty strongly.

Ok.  :)

My idea of the bulk orders service would include minimums not too far out of
reach of the average builder, and at a price that would make subsequent
smaller auctions unlikley.

If that's what you think will happen, I think you're going to be
disappointed.  Let's talk some numbers here.  Minimums "not too far
out of reach of the average builder."  Ok, what's that?  10 egg-shaped
trees?  That's a fair amount of volume.  20 1x2 tiles?  That's not.

Bulk is bulk. Bulk isn't 5 of this, 10 of that, 8 of this other thing.
They've already done that and ditched it because it was too
labor-intensive, which it is.

Even something as small as a 100 count minimum is going to be vastly
out of whack with what some people need.  Even at a tiny price like
$0.10 each.  It is there that the people who buy more than they
themselves need will continue to find a way to resell to others who
just plain don't _need_ the minimum.

And I don't think that's a bad thing, do you?  If the choice is
between letting everyone order as few as 10,20, whatever small number
of parts (which probably, logistically, wouldn't work to their
satisfaction) or enforcing fairly good sized minimums, I think they'll
pick the minimums.

The whole internet thing has me on a "kill the
middleman" kick, so there ya go...the internet means no middlemen, as
publishers of all varieties are soon to find out.

Some people may think the internet is killing the middleman, but it
isn't.  You think Amazon prints the books?  Selling direct at tiny
quantities (I think) will make this thing fail, which is why I think
it won't be tiny quantities.

But even if it ends up being tiny quantities, there will always be
people who don't want 10 because they only need 1.

And for the record, auction
prices for any elements don't mean a thing when you can bulk order anything
you want -- its just not an appropriate gauge of anything except desire for a
part when it was scarce.

Well, I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but I'd bet you dollars to
doughnuts that we won't be ordering "anything we want".  Just won't
happen.

But my main point is that every builder needs to be able to buy what they want
and when they need it to suit their whimsy.  And whimsy has to be featured
here because its a huge component in building -- to try a thing even if it
seems stupid to begin with.  I have a related wish regarding younger builders
too -- that they also will find a way to use such a service to satisfy their
own whimsies.  Whimsy is the whole point...

Whimsy doesn't work well with reality, though.

All parts and in all colors and at a fair price -- I will settle for nothing
less!

You'll have to, I'm afraid.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?