 Dear LEGO / 1558
Re: Model Shop Inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:57:18 GMT

Does that mean there are still K8s of light blue bricks and plates laying around
there that we might talk them out of?  ;-)

I say that because there are all SORTS of pieces at LLC in light blue that never
came in a production set, and aren't used in high #s AT LLC either.

Another example - trans-dark-blue minifig heads used in ONE model at LLC - if they
had to order 20+ K8s, they've GOT to have a few boxes laying around.  Those would
make KILLER rotating lights for the top of a larger police car!

john kelly wrote:

It's a good thing somebody sent me this one.... Thanks J1.

The Enfield model shop orders it's pieces from the stores of the production
runs.  While it was possible to have a custom run made for a large (20+ K8's.
A K8 is approximately a 2'x 1'x 1' box) order, we had to pay for the production
run necessary to do this and that was always cost prohibitive.  In general we
ordered bircks out of the stores in multiples of K3s, K5s, and K6s and K8s.
(Size is in multiples of 2.  (2)K3s make a K5, (2)K6s make a K8.  We did have
the ability to order from more than just our molding hall in Enfield, but those
ocean going ships are very very very slow.

There is no pre-packaging of out bricks and the quality standards are not quite
as high since our bricks were never packaged.  Once in a very very rare time
you would get a mixed color brick and more often you would see partial mold
bricks where there was not enough plastic to fill the mold.  From the little I
understand about the consumer affairs, their brick stock has had more quality
control.

doubt my knowledge, visit my site to see me skinnyier and younger.
http://www.skypoint.com/~jkelly69/Modelwal.htm

Thanks

-john
x-lego model builder (now retired)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Gary R. Istok writes:

Ray Sanders wrote:

Gary,

This sounds oh-so-similar to a question I asked here...

http://www.lugnet.com/technic/?n=686

Ray

Gary Istok wrote:

If but it were so simple!

There is one thing I don't understand about TLC.  That is the "consumer • spare parts
inventory" versus the "model shop inventory".  I would love to know the • procedures
involved for maintaining these two.   Here are some questions for a TLC • person:

Is the model shop inventory tracked at all?
How does the two different inventories compare.
And how do they get additional parts.
What determines that a light blue 2x4 brick only goes to the model shop, • and not to
the consumer spare parts inventory (since no known LEGO set has this • piece)?
How will LEGO Direct Bulk Sales inventory be obtained?
How will it be maintained?
Will production runs be made to satisfy bulk sales?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Gary Istok

--
mailto:rsanders@svic.net
Experienced Macintosh developer seeks telecomuting position.

Thanks Ray, I must have missed your reply.
It certainly makes you wonder how they handle the two processes.

Gary Istok