 Castle / 12923
Re: Legend theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:13:06 GMT

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Matt Hein wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Erik Gustafson writes:
I have came up with my own theory (probably more a wish).  When I checked up
the sets at Lego.com and I looked at the prices.

6941 Battrax 25$
6074 Black Flacons Fortress 35$
6390 Main Street 60$
375 Yellow Castle 70$
6285 Black Seas Barracuda 100$

Seventy dollars for a Yellow Castle?!!! What? This is a theory, right?!
There's no way I would throw down $70 for a yellow castle set. I mean, it's
about the same size as a BFF, and double the price.

As Matt observed later (I snipped it) 375 originally had 779 pieces.  That
is the most pieces of any Castle set.  Ever.  Also 14 minifigs, which is
the most 'figs in any Castle set.[1] I don't own one, but looking at the
instructions it appears to occupy a 32x32 baseplate space, which is the
same as 6080 and 6085[2], which are larger than the Black Falcon's
Fortress.  Granted, the pieces are not as desireable as gray (and I'd
rather have four Falcons than 14 plain figs, disregarding accessories),
but the ppp is pretty good, if you want yellow (and I haven't seen any
3033s in stores lately. . .)

I set my vote for the Battrax, and I'm glad I did. I was jut hoping Lego
would more or less, diversify the selection so as to include decent
prices, and an equal selection of themes.

I think they should lower the prices, and add more variety to the
selection.

I've been reading a lot of comments about the high prices listed
(particularly for the BSB), and confess myself to be mystified by them.
When I grab the first inflation calculator Google gives me[3], I get

$25 in 2001 was $16 in 1987
$35 in 2001 was $22 in 1986
$60 in 2001 was $26 in 1980
$70 in 2001 was $25 in 1978
$100 in 2001 was $70 in 1989

which are much lower than those sets would have retailed.  For reference,
the Lugnet Guide gives MSRPs of $35 for 6074 and >=$110 for 6285 (the
others are unknown).  Yes, we all know that the CPI overstates inflation,
but the prices on the survey are basically the same (i.e., unadjusted) as
the original prices.  This is really cool on the part of LD, because
historically S@H has not had competitive pricing[4], and these sets are
being offered for less than they would be if they were new.  The ppp is
not as fantastic as a 3033 or 3739, but it's a heck of a lot better than
retail prices lately (6095, anyone?).

The mystery, though, is the exclusion of Technic[5].

TWS Garrison
tgarriso@math.purdue.edu
   http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/

[1] According to the Fibblesnork Guide (which is outdated), but I don't
think Knights' Kingdom set any new records in terms of parts per set ;-)

[2] Actually, 6080 is 38x32, but it doesn't seem to really use the extra
space.

[3] http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

[4] That is, they charge MSRP and then toss in shipping and handling.

[5] And mind you, I'm not even a fan of Technic!