 Castle / 12869
Re: Legend voting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:32:08 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Peter Guenther writes:
Prolly not, actually. Your theme is going to divide votes among two
candidates while the townies, pirates and spacers all have one clear
candidate to vote for.

I wouldn't count on this, Larry.

Just another view here...  I think both Peter and Larry make good points.

1. The price point of the 6074 makes it extremely appealing, even to
non-castleheads.  Lots of people can use grey brick--especially Space, and a
number of spacies don't think the Battrax is the best choice.  Even a lot of
townies, perhaps, who want grey bricks and arches for details more than they
want Main Street.

My view on grey is "who cares".  We have a good selection of Grey brick
available in bulk as well as the "castle expander pack" for the arches.

2. As David or Jason said, I could easily build Main Street (with some color
changes) from my collection.  Never underestimate the power of the yellow
Tudor wall.

But I don't want Main Street with color changes, I want the Main Street parts
in the colors that come in the set!  It's been a long time since we could get
White Town windows in quantity.  Plus it has a white door and blue and red
window panes.  Thats why I want Main Street along with a couple other parts.

I will admit the Yellow Tudor walls would be a huge draw for 6047 although I
think the set is to heavy in castle wall elements.  Personally when I build
castle MOC's I prefer to go with brick and rarely use the castle wall part.
That takes away from the appeal of 6047 for me.  Granted if this was the
release I would probably get several and sell off the wall parts I don't
want...

3. There are a lot of people out there who came to Lego or came out of their
Dark Ages too late for Castle, and even if they're not primarly castle
builders they want some Black Falcons.

No argument here.  We play Brikwars fairly often and about half the time it is
in a Medieval setting so any chance to develop another force is welcome.

4. Castle heads don't seem so divided on this.  I think there's a lot more
support for 6074 than the yellow castle.

I think you are probably right.  I think Larry had it right that the Yellow
Castle would have more compromises and wouldn't be close enough to the
origional.  Besides yellow isn't nearly as desireable a color as most.

On the other hand, if it is Main Street, I won't be crying, but I'll buy a
lot fewer.  BSB is just too pricey; I don't know if I'd even buy 1.
Probably 1; but I'd buy 5 Black Falcon Fortresses--and that's just my first
order.

I think I would probably say that if Black Falcon Fortress won I would by a few
but if Main Street won I would by at least 5 right off the bat.  I agree that
BSB is way to pricey and I may not buy any.  As for the Blacktron model, why
would you choose a wheeled vehicle for the first Space Legend?  Unless there is
more truth to those Star Wars agreement rumors than even LEGO admits...

No matter which one wins we all will win.  Castle, Town, and Train have had it
pretty good so far.  Wild West and Pirates have done OK too with their
re-releases.  While I don't have as much desire for Space at this point I do
think the Space heads are due.

Eric Kingsley