 Castle / 12911
12910  |  12912
Subject:
Black Seas Barracuda (Was Re: Battrax)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:27:32 GMT

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message
news:GuJstp.Iut@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
With the Castle vote split to some degree, my bet is on the Battrax to • win >out.

It just might at that.  I had been looking at a VERY good condition • original
release of the Battrax this afternoon and making a mental list of what is
good about the set.

And about your most impressive Lego collection, of course....   Ahem.
Anyway...

I love Space Lego. I have always loved it. I build Space-oriented
constructions to the virtual exclusion of everything else. I've collected as
many of the Space sets as I can find, and I'm lucky enough to have obtained
many of the standout sets of the major subthemes, and I like them all....
But none of them hold a candle to the Black Seas Barracuda. It's a WORK OF
ART.

I'm sorry Spaceheads, I didn't vote for the Battrax. The Battrax just don't
cut it. We can get by fine without our Blacktron-printed slope and
trans-yellow canopy, just as Castle can get by fine without their yellow
Tudor walls and yellow steep-slope corners. Personally I think that that
particular Blacktron slope and yellow canopy are among the worse particular
varieties you could get, in terms of general-purpose usefulness. Black
shutters? Heh, funny.

And the model? Yeah, it's kinda neat if you grew up with Blacktron. But the
Black Seas Barracuda? That's a masterpiece. It's one of the most beautiful,
near-perfect designs they ever made. And I'm not even into Pirates very
much. You don't have to be. It's the embodiment of the romance of piracy.
Its visual appeal far outstrips two dinky castles, a couple of houses and a
space buggy. Put it on a shelf and it'd sell like hotcakes just like it did
in '89.

Hey, I'm not doing it for me. I've already got one, and I gladly paid an arm
and a leg to get it. I just want everyone else to be able to own this
masterpiece. I'm not going to post this to .pirates, that's preaching to the
converted. It'd be nice, though, for them to have brown wide boat hulls
again, not to mention decent genuine sails and pirate wenches... wouldn't
it.

--

Cheers,
Paul