 Castle / 12916
Re: Legend theory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:42:59 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Erik Gustafson writes:
I have came up with my own theory (probably more a wish).  When I checked up
the sets at Lego.com and I looked at the prices.

6941 Battrax 25$
6074 Black Flacons Fortress 35$
6390 Main Street 60$
375 Yellow Castle 70$
6285 Black Seas Barracuda 100$

Seventy dollars for a Yellow Castle?!!! What? This is a theory, right?!
There's no way I would throw down $70 for a yellow castle set. I mean, it's
about the same size as a BFF, and double the price. I'm voting for the
Battrax, and I'm not letting anyone convince me otherwise.

I think the Battrax was an unfair voting choice, because it is way too small
of a set, only includes one minifigure, and doesn't have a large parts
selection. Seriously, I would have wanted a Renegade to even things out
instead, it's in the same price and parts range as everything else, and I
think this would even out the voting process, and probably get the faith of
.space back on track.

I noticed one thing. They are all in separate price ranges from the high end
100$ down to 25$. I don’t think this is a coincidence. 6390, 375 and 6285
all seems like natural legends in the own categories. Most of the castle
heads would probably say  375 if you asked for a legend to be released and
most townies would(my guess) say 6390. The other two sets 6074 and 6941 are
not so sure Legends. Both are very good sets but I think that at least 6741
indicates that Lego wanted sets from the whole price scale and therefore
didn’t choose the MIB as a candidate.

I would have had Renegade or MIB as candidates, but I'm sure a majority of
spaceheads would have gone with the base. To tell you the truth, though, I
think a price scale would make it easier to choose one theme over the other,
and therefore offset the desirability if you buy solely for parts. For
example, If I liked pirates, town, space and castle sets, and the price list
was varied greatly, with space being the cheapest, I would rather pick up
four Battrax instead of a Black Seas Barracuda, or two for a BFF, three for
a 375. You see, naturally, I would go towards the space section because for
one its cheaper, and I tend to gravitate towards cheaper sets with better
value, at multiple copies. So, theoretically, according to what I think,
Space would be more desirable, and I would ignore everything else If I were
looking for value. Now, If they took one set from each theme, with a similar
amount of parts, price range, and a stallar design, I would probably be more
attracted to buying all of them instead of multiple copies of one, thus
giving Lego a profit on each model type, not just the model in question.

I hope this indicates that the whole voting is just a scam to keep us fans
happy and that we will someday see all this sets at S@H or in retail(not
very likely). Myself I put my vote on the BFF, because I like the BF’s and
desperately want more.

I set my vote for the Battrax, and I'm glad I did. I was jut hoping Lego
would more or less, diversify the selection so as to include decent prices,
and an equal selection of themes. A yellow castle has about 700 pieces,
which Is good for a set, but it is small for a castle, and the price range
is a bit too high, for a set that comprises of mostly small parts. If it
were in the $40 price range, I would buy it, but at $70, forget it. I think
they should lower the prices, and add more variety to the selection.

Comments, suggestions on my theory? Pleas respond and
give my your take on this!

Just my two brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112