Re: Proposal: New Parts Category for round parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:09:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:

We've currently got a group of parts labeled 'Cylinder'.  See
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/cylinder/> for a list of the parts.

But there's a problem:  not all of these parts are actually cylinders.

So, I'd like to propose a new category for all round(ed) parts.

So for the 'Round' category, we could start with the existing parts:

6259.DAT      Cylinder  2 x  4 x  4

And re-title them to:

6259.DAT      Round Panel  2 x  4 x  4

Part 6259 (or should it be 6218 ??) IS NOT A CYLINDER.
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=6259

I agree that it fits into the Cyliner category and agree that
2 of these pieces make a cylinder, but just 1 unit is only a
HALF CYLINDER.

So, Part 6259 should be renamed.
The name I suggest is   Round Cylinder Half  2 x 4 x 4

This is technically more correct and will allow for finding it better
thru searches and keywords.  At least I would search for the term
'Half' in order to find it since it is clearly a half of something.

Oh, and I am all in favor of moving items to better category locations.
Theme-based and Set-based names are bad.  Form over function is the best
naming convention to use (I know Steve and Lar agree on this, too).
There are exceptions--and allowances must be made.  I like category
'Boat' and I like category 'Space' but many of the items in Space
need to be moved out to other locations.   I dislike theme-based
categories but some pieces do belong in those places.  A lot of items
could be moved from the theme categories and moved to Minifig
sub-categories (Castle is a good example).

__Kevin Salm__

.