Re: Proposal: New Parts Category for round parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 03:10:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Steve Bliss <partsref@yahoo.com> writes:

Maybe this is an Americanization, but how about 'tie-rod'?  That is
(basically) a synonym for 'link', and includes the word 'rod'.  And
also connotes the usage in steering assemblies, which 2739 was
initially used for.

How about:

2637.DAT      Technic Tie-Rod 16L with Holes
2739.DAT      Technic Tie-Rod  6L Steering with Towball Sockets

I tend to view bar-like elements with a connector socket in each end
as a "rod".  Hence, "tie-rod" sounds too complicated to me.  But I
can't claim too much knowledge about English mechanics.  I think your
suggestion is good!

I like it too, though I think "Towball socket" is a too-long way to
say "ball socket".

Another problem is the i-beam parts come from Freestyle, not
Technic...

But that's not a problem, is it?  I don't care too much where the
parts appear, it is their form and function that should decide where
they go, in my opinion.

How to determine if it's TRULY a Technic item though?

Personally (and I'm apparently in the minority here), I want my part
names to work for me intuitively, and if I have to shift mindsets
"Hmm, let's see, I think this is something they'd call Technic, so
let me start there" rather than go with with it was initially
(I'm speaking more of the steering link than anything else), it's
a lot easier to remember where in the list it might be.

Besides, I think the element appeared more or less simultaneously in
both a Freestyle set and a Technic set.  If I'm not mistaken, the 11L
I-beam rod appeared in yellow in a freestyle set (the one with the
camel...) and in blue in the 8462 Tow Truck set the same year.

Wow, it was in 8462?  Coool... [own the set, haven't been able
to touch, so many sets, so little time... <big sigh>]

It was in Blue in 1995 in a Freestyle set, at least...

----

1x11 Lift Arm, No Center Holes

Qty Color  Set  U.S. Set Name           Year Theme
--- ------ ---- ----------------------- ---- ----------------------
2   Blue   4145 Build N' Store Chest    1995 (Build-N-Store Chest)
2   Yellow 1868 Freestyle Universal Set 1996 Universal Building Set
2   Yellow 4148 Freestyle Bucket        1997 (Bucket)
2   Blue   8462 Tow Truck               1998 Tech Build

Totals
------
Blue: 4
Yellow: 4
All: 8

First set I know of with the camel head (ONLY set I personally know of,
actually) was 4138...

     -- joshua

P.S. FWIW, I called this "lift arm" not because I'm a devotee to the name as
much as it was the LDRAW standard at the time...