Re: Proposal: New Parts Category for round parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 07:56:09 GMT

Steve Bliss <partsref@yahoo.com> writes:

Maybe this is an Americanization, but how about 'tie-rod'?  That is
(basically) a synonym for 'link', and includes the word 'rod'.  And
also connotes the usage in steering assemblies, which 2739 was
initially used for.

How about:

2637.DAT      Technic Tie-Rod 16L with Holes
2739.DAT      Technic Tie-Rod  6L Steering with Towball Sockets

I tend to view bar-like elements with a connector socket in each end
as a "rod".  Hence, "tie-rod" sounds too complicated to me.  But I
can't claim too much knowledge about English mechanics.  I think your
suggestion is good!

Another problem is the i-beam parts come from Freestyle, not
Technic...

But that's not a problem, is it?  I don't care too much where the
parts appear, it is their form and function that should decide where
they go, in my opinion.

Besides, I think the element appeared more or less simultaneously in
both a Freestyle set and a Technic set.  If I'm not mistaken, the 11L
I-beam rod appeared in yellow in a freestyle set (the one with the
camel...) and in blue in the 8462 Tow Truck set the same year.

Fredrik