Re: Proposal: New Parts Category for round parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:52:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Fredrik Glöckner wrote:
While this idea would unify many elements, I don't think it's a good
one.  After all, the technic bricks with holes or axleholes (or pins!)
are still bricks.

Yes, they are bricks, but they are commonly called 'beams'.

I'd have no hassle calling them bricks, but they need to be called "brick
with holes" or "brick, technic" or "technic brick" to distinguish them from
hole-less bricks.

Sorry, I was being too terse.  I meant 'technic brick', not just plain
'brick'.  Likewise, 'technic beam', not just 'beam'.

Should it be a separate category? I lean towards yes,
because there's quite a few of them (and would include open centre bricks
below), but I could be swayed either way.

That's a possibility.  Organization-wise, I'd like to split Technic up
into two or more categories, just because it's so large.

Maybe this is an Americanization, but how about 'tie-rod'?  That is (basically)
a synonym for 'link', and includes the word 'rod'.  And also connotes the usage
in steering assemblies, which 2739 was initially used for.

So how about "link"?

Both the pieces in question are currently labeled as 'link'.

2637.DAT      Technic Link 16L
2739.DAT      Technic Steering Link

It's just not out front.

Are there enough to make a link category? (I'm thinking no, but just
throwing around the ideas...)

No, I don't think there are.  I don't think 'link' is generic enough.
Or maybe, it's too generic.  Many elements could be described as 'link'
parts.

2637.DAT      Technic Link  16L with Holes
2739.DAT      Technic Link  6L Steering with Towball Sockets

One problem here -- Fredrik brought this issue up, because "Technic
Link" is used for the chain/tread link parts.  So having a link-rod with
the same name is unnecessarily confusing.

Steve