Re: Proposal: New Parts Category for round parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 22:40:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:

Yes, this is Steve, once again geeking on the parts library
organization. :)

We've currently got a group of parts labeled 'Cylinder'.  See
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/cylinder/> for a list of the parts.

But there's a problem:  not all of these parts are actually cylinders.
Another problem is that are other parts, such as the 'space radar
dishes'
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=%2Bradar+%2Bdish>, that
need a better home.

So, I'd like to propose a new category for all round(ed) parts.  I think
this could work like the Slope and Hinge categories.  For slopes, the
part names all start with 'Slope Brick'.  Which implies that there might
be 'Slope Tile', or 'Slope Panel', or whatever else LEGO might come up.

It sounds like a good idea, although it fails the "is a" test.  That is, if I
look at a piece in my hand, I might think "It is a brick" "It is a slope" "It
is a hinge" "It is a plate".  I would not is "It is a round" I think the
previous top-level descriptors have been nouns,[1] not adjectives. . .

But what I'm really confused/frustrated/lost about is:  why is this
conversation in .cad.dev.org.ldraw?  I understand that taxonomy might fall
vaguely within .cad.dev's charter for "parts planning & tracking", but what
does that have to do with .org.ldraw?  And why (oh why?) does no one ever use
.db.brictionary:

lugnet.db.brictionary- Discussions of parts
  nomenclature and taxonomy; planning for the
  LUGNET Brictionary, a comprehensive database of
  LEGO® elements.

?  I never would have noticed this thread[2] if I hadn't use the Web interface
to post and noticed Steve's latest message.

TWS Garrison

[1]  Except, perhaps, "minifig", as used?

[2] And mind you, I do wade through the bug reports in .cad.dev, despite a
complete lack of interest in CAD[3], soley to keep up on parts taxonomy and
naming discussions.

[3] Except to look at cool virtual Castle scenes, of course ;-)