Re: Proposal: New Parts Category for round parts / Beams & bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 12:14:28 GMT

My two euro-cents...

In Ultimate Builder set (3800), Lego provides an inventory with names...
might be a source of inspiration ?

- Technic bricks with holes are refered as "Technic bricks"
- smooth bricks as "Beams", angled ones as "Technic angular beams"
- 1/2 height with cross holes are refered as "Technic levers" which imho is
the real term for "liftarms"

I uploaded a scaled down version of this list [(c)Lego] here
http://www.philohome.com/other/element-scroll-list.jpg

Philo
www.philohome.com

My personal opinion is that the liftarm category in LDraw is way too
wide.  I'm not quite sure myself what a "liftarm" actually is in the
English language.  But my understanding from LEGO is that a liftarm is
a rod or a beam with a cross axle hole in the end(s).  That way, the
liftarm can be used to transform a rotating motion into a "lifting"
force.  E.g., a rotating axle with a "liftarm" connected can be used
to lift something.