Re: Proposal: New Parts Category for round parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:54:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Fredrik Glöckner wrote:

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk> writes:

What do we do about <part:4032> (Plate 2 x 2 Round)? Is
"plate" or "round" most important?

This is a good and important point.

I agree totally.  A very important point.  I'm ambivalent about the
resolution.

My *first* reaction is that we should leave existing parts mostly alone,
unless it is very clear that they should be moved.

My second reaction is that I'll go along with what I hear from everyone
else.

Third, "Brick" is fairly large category.  So moving some parts out of
brick would be good, from a perspective of balancing out the categories.

After all, slope bricks are bricks too, but they're still put into the
slope category.  Hence, it would be more consistent to do the same
with round bricks and plates.

A side note: all slopes are identified as "slope brick" (although some
of them should probably be "slope tile").  A better category for
comparision might be "Hinge", where there are several "hinge plate" and
"hinge brick" parts. :)

An alternative approach would be to let the new "round" category
include _only_ "odd" parts that are not also in the brick or plate
categories.  This sounds a bit strange to me, but it would clearly
impose less changes to parts that already exist.

Another (perhaps similar) approach: establish a priority of categories.
Lay out which categories are 'more important' when a part fits more than
one category.

So it might be that Round has higher priority than Plate, but Wing
overrides Round.

I would prefer the first approach, to rename _all_ rounded bricks and
plates into the new category.  But at the same time, I am a bit
unsure, as this will mean rename a bulk of parts.  So I am certainly
not sure if it is a good idea!

Here's a URL I used to compile a list of candidates for the Round
category:
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=round%2A+curve%2A+cone%2A+-baseplate+-roadsign+-window+-panel+-fence+-technic+-rail&qn=40>
(sorry if it wraps).  It returns 48 matches (some newer parts might be
missing -- I haven't applied the 2001-02 and 2001-03 updates to
Partsref!).

Any thoughts on this set of parts?

One problem is that part 6039, Cone 2 x 2 x 1&2/3 Octagonal, doesn't
belong in Round.  It's alright in Cone, but Cone will cease to exist as
a category if we create Round.  I guess we could rename 6039 to "Brick 2
x 2 x 1&2/3 Octagonal Cone".

While we are discussing the subject of renaming parts, what do you
think about the suggestion posted here:

   http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=6371

I think it's a good suggestion, and I'm sorry I didn't reply to it when
it was posted.  But I would suggest "Technic Axle" be used, instead of
"Technic Rod".

Steve