Re: Proposal: New Parts Category for round parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:18:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Joshua Delahunty" <dulcaoin@cse.ucsc.edu> writes:

Personally (and I'm apparently in the minority here), I want my
part names to work for me intuitively, and if I have to shift
mindsets "Hmm, let's see, I think this is something they'd call
Technic, so let me start there" rather than go with with it was
initially (I'm speaking more of the steering link than anything
else), it's a lot easier to remember where in the list it might be.

Admittedly, it's a bit early in the morning over here, but I can't
understand wether you mean that you want the parts to be categorized
after the the type of part, or in what kind of set it appears the
first time!  *boggle*

I'd like them to be categorized as the part is used, for the most part,
rather than with a hyper-technical over-engineered approach.

The steering rod is (to me, personally), a steering rod before it's a
technic axle with ball sockets.  When I go to insert one in LeoCAD, or
some other package, I'm gonna want to be able to search on "steering"
or "rod", and not "TECHNIC" (too many matches) or "Axle" (too many matches,
and not as intuitive to me) or "ball sockets".

I'd rather NOT have to switch from the mindset of "what would most people
think of this as" to "what kinds of technical LEGO features does this part
have that the LDRAW guys might have zeroed in on to name this element?"
EVERY time I need to find a new element that I haven't memorized the LDRAW
name for.

What about the Technic Ski Pole, for example?  It was originally
introduced along with the Technic figure ski element in the mid 80's
Technic arctic sets.  It has a technic connector pin on one end, but
apart from that it has very few traces of technic on it.  And nowadays
it is used mostly as a decorative item in Model Team sets.  Should it
be in the Technic category, or should it be in the Bar category?

Considering the connector peg, I'd say this element is Technic all the
way, IMO.

So I went and looked, and What do you know?  I've still got it named
"Technic Figure Ski Pole".  Through all the Model Team and Pirates sets
and whatnot, I've still found that to be the easiest search term to use
when trying to find this element.

So I guess I would argue that that original use term is probably best
from my perspective, knowing full-well that many people would disagree with
me.  (One might note that I'm a tad behind in my inventory of Model Team
sets from latter years).

Technic Figure Ski Pole

Qty Color  Set  U.S. Set Name             Year Theme
--- ------ ---- ------------------------- ---- ---------------
2   Grey   8640 Polar Copter              1986 Action Set
2   Red    8620 Snow Scooter              1986 Action Set
2   Red    8660 Arctic Rescue Unit        1986 Action Set
2   Red    8680 Arctic Rescue Base        1986 Action Set
2   Yellow 8640 Polar Copter              1986 Action Set
2   Yellow 8680 Arctic Rescue Base        1986 Action Set
2   Black  8840 Rally Shock N' Roll Racer 1991 Model
1   Black  5581 Magic Flash               1993 Model
1   Black  6266 Cannon Cove               1993 Imperial Guards
1   Grey   5581 Magic Flash               1993 Model
2   Grey   5591 Mach II Red Bird Rig      1994 Model
1   Grey   6036 Skeleton Surprise         1995 Royal Knights
1   Yellow 6339 Shuttle Launch Pad        1995 Launch Command
1   Grey   6493 Flying Time Vessel        1996 Time Cruisers
1   Grey   6494 Mystic Mountain Time Lab  1996 Time Cruisers

Totals
------
Black: 4
Grey: 8
Red: 6
Yellow: 5

It was in Blue in 1995 in a Freestyle set, at least...

It appeared that early in a Freestyle set?!  Wow, at least it
demonstrates that my knowledge about Freestyle is limited.

I think I BOUGHT that Freestyle set just BECAUSE it had this
item that I personally considering Technic (shrug).  The
camel/dog/horse/elephant heads were intriguing as well.

    -- joshua