 Administrative / General / 12892
Re: Badgering emails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:05:39 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I'm talkiing about the case where it's not clear that there is an
issue (how to you distinguish that from someone just ignoring you
because they don't want to hear that they're being warned about
something) , do the admins need to keep trying and trying and trying?

First of all, one can try to get a receipt from the receivers mail program.
This is certainly not fool proof, but if you get a receipt, the receiver has
almost certainly seen at least the Subject of the mail. If you never get a
receipt, you cannot be sure of anything - it could be that mail never gets
there, the receiver throws it away without reading, receipts are disabled,
etc.

But you know all about that...

When is enough tries?

There isn't any answer to this one. If the emails go through, one should be
enough, if they don't it doesn't matter how many you send. Assuming it's
impossible to get a reliable read reciept from the mail system, all you can
do is to set time limits for escalation.

It could be something like:

email
<wait X days>
email
<wait Y days>
public (lugnet)
<wait Z days>
revoke posting rights

(X < Y < Z)
All assuming there is no response.

The procedure should be documented (at least) in the first email.

Of course, there are special cases, for example a person doesn't get an
email, or refuses to answer, but is still posting on lugnet - then I think
it would be best to reply ASAP to him/her on lugnet about the problem.

There will always be a special, legitimate, case where the set limits don't
apply...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm