 Administrative / General / 12888
Re: Badgering emails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:04:36 GMT

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 04:33:10PM +0000, Frank Filz wrote:
Hmm, I think it's actually both peoples issue to solve. SPAM is a real
problem, but I have seen several providers take a lazy way out.
Remember when Lugnet was incorrectly put on SPAM black lists? If it
was only Lugnet's responsibility to solve the problem, the problem
would never be solved. The problem is only really solved when the
customers of services that refuse to review their use of SPAM blocks
use the weight of their value as a customer to get the service to
review the use. They don't lose any skin if Lugnet can't send their
users e-mail, except through the fact that their customers lose skin.

True.  If LUGENT's servers end up on a blacklist again, it would be
everyone's problem.  But while Kevin could (and probably should) ask his
ISP to unblock Larry's server, I would doubt one user would actually
make much of an impact on them.  So I would still say that it's LUGNET's
responsibility that Admin emails get to the users.  Especially when it's
been determined that the issue is not fixable by the users.

I've also wondered about what really is spoofing. I suspect 99% of the
mail that doesn't originate from web based mail clients does not
originate from a system with an IP address that could be resolved by
DNS from the hostname in the person's e-mail address (for example,
when I use a recently acquired e-mail address for work, my e-mail is
xxxx@us.ibm.com, however, my Linux machine originates the e-mail,
sending it to an SMTP relay which eventually delivers it to the
recipient. I'm not sure any of the IP addresses (and host names) that
show up in the forwarding information would match any address
us.ibm.com can resolve to.

So is this e-mail spoofed?

Nope. Or at least, not in any important way. There's no requirement that
the From header match any of the servers that handle the email. There's
a new proposal out (SPF) that tries to allow domains to map which
servers could send mail from that address, but since LUGNET doesn't have
an SPF record, it doesn't affect us.

Heck, I'm not even sure that the web based e-mail clients don't
effectively spoof e-mail also. When I use Earthlink's web e-mail
client, I wouldn't be surprised if the machine it's on, and shows up
in the forwarding headers, is not an IP address that mindspring.com
would ever resolve to.

Most certainly - if you look at mail coming from lugnet's server, it's
qsxxx.pair.com.  But again, that has no effect on the validity of the
email.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com