 Administrative / General / 12840
Re: Badgering emails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 04:07:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mark Riley wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
I want official warnings from @lugnet.com.

What if that's not technically possible? What then?

Could you clarify that a bit?  Why should it not be technically possible to have
official emails coming from the lugnet.com domain?  That's a very basic ability
of any serious website.

Not necessarily. LUGNET does not have this ability, as I understand it. It is
possible to construct an email that shows the "from:" as being from a lugnet.com
email address, but, again, as I understand it, not to have the email actually be
SENT by a mail server that resides on the LUGNET domain. The IP address (again,
as I understand it) will be bzpower.com (or fsu.com or bu.edu or ascential.com
or whatever) and many receiving mail systems will (properly, in my view) reject
that as spam since it has a forged "from:" header.

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12820

If you mean that it is sometimes inconvenient to send emails from the lugnet
account, then wait til it is convenient or notify another admin to make the
notification.

No, that's not what I mean.