 Administrative / General / 12883
12882  |  12884
Subject:
Email Setups (was: Re: Badgering emails)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:31:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger wrote:
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 03:56:06PM +0000, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
Lugnet, right now as I understand it, cannot handle items like
automated emails and whatnot.

I would disagree with that though.  Not to mention the server sends
emails all the time - news-by-mail, auth emails, etc?

I think this issue can be boiled down to:
1. Official LUGNET email messages need to come from "*@lugnet.com" reply-to.
Resolution: Each admin sets reply-to in their email client. Timeframe:
Immediate.

2. To avoid spamblockers and spoof sniffers, the @lugnet.com emails should be
physically be sent through the LUGNET server. This is more of a "would like to
have" than a "must have" since emails with reply-to @lugnet.com addresses
currently resolve (although there may be issues with some tight spamblockers or
whitelists). Resolution: The lugnet server (apparently) has an SMTP server for
the news-by-mail feature, but it is not currently configured to accept mail from
non-script sources (e.g. webmail client). The SMTP server would need to be
opened up a bit so admins can configure an email client to use lugnet as the
mail server, OR a webmail client would need to be installed on the lugnet.com
server. Timeframe: I would think short- to medium-term depending on the status
of the server switchover and code freeze.

Any technical correction by Todd as necessary would be appreciated, but that's
the issue as I currently understand it.

Kelly McKiernan
LUGNET Administrator