 Administrative / General / 12893
Re: Posting Policy Changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:20:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Stembel wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Stefan Garcia wrote:
On behalf of a friend (Jeff - builder of the Salamis MOC), I've been asked
to tell you that he has been waiting almost three days for posting changes
to take affect and he'd like an ETA on that please.

I've been so busy reading all the posts saying what a terrible person I am
and how everything I do is bad for LUGNET that I haven't had a chance to do
approvals for a few days, and it looks like I'm the only person that seems to
do them.

First, thank you for approving the change.  Perhaps automation is in order for
this, if at least for paid members?  Maybe assign the duty of checking for this
type of thing to a specific person?  I find it rather odd I can change my
posting setup information on any number of public forums in a matter of minutes
and yet have to wait almost three days here.

We've had a lot of trouble with spoofed IDs, and also with emails that were not
possible to spam decode, or not possible for LUGNET itself to parse properly,
which is not really related to whether someone has made a donation or not.

Todd took the decision that a human needs to look at each one to decide if it's
legit. I am not going to comment on whether it's automatable or not, although I
think it would be an interesting science project, codewise to get one that has
less false positives than a human would.

Certainly more people could do it, but as of right now, there are only 3 people
that do, and the other two haven't been doing it at all. That's not fault,
that's just how it is.

Second, was it really necessary to track in the mud from the other thread to
this totally unrelated and very simple request?

Track in the mud? I was merely saying why I hadn't gotten to it, I have limited
time and that's how I've been spending it lately. If you don't like that, not
sure what to say. But for that matter, why even have someone post about it in
the first place? Why not just email the admins about it? Did you try that first?
If so, I didn't get it...