 Administrative / General / 12909
Re: Posting Policy Changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:15:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Stembel wrote:
   First, thank you for approving the change. Perhaps automation is in order for this, if at least for paid members? Maybe assign the duty of checking for this type of thing to a specific person? I find it rather odd I can change my posting setup information on any number of public forums in a matter of minutes and yet have to wait almost three days here.

We’ve had a lot of trouble with spoofed IDs, and also with emails that were not possible to spam decode, or not possible for LUGNET itself to parse properly, which is not really related to whether someone has made a donation or not.

I am well aware of the issues in the past that molded the current shape of posting procedures; I was here at the time if you recall. However, they are in the past. I felt they were too extreme then and are too extreme now. However, I wouldn’t feel the need to voice such if the system *worked.*

   Todd took the decision that a human needs to look at each one to decide if it’s legit. I am not going to comment on whether it’s automatable or not, although I think it would be an interesting science project, codewise to get one that has less false positives than a human would.

If that is the determination and it isn’t getting done, then someone should be specifically tasked with looking at them in a timely manner. If not, situations like this will occur as people keep thinking, “oh, someone else is doing it.”

   Second, was it really necessary to track in the mud from the other thread to this totally unrelated and very simple request?

Track in the mud? I was merely saying why I hadn’t gotten to it, I have limited time and that’s how I’ve been spending it lately.

Compare these two statements:

I’ve been so busy reading all the posts saying what a terrible person I am and how everything I do is bad for LUGNET that I haven’t had a chance to do approvals for a few days

I’ve been so busy that I haven’t had a chance to do approvals for a few days

Was the bolded text truly necessary based on what the request was? I thought it was totally unprofessional to bring other unrelated and ongoing issues into it, hence my original post.

   But for that matter, why even have someone post about it in the first place? Why not just email the admins about it? Did you try that first? If so, I didn’t get it...

I emailed the Lugnet Feedback email address, which apparently still goes to Todd. Having been absent from the site for a long time, both in posting and reading (besides items specifically linked), I was unaware of many of the recent changes. I knew Todd had handed over at least some control to other people, but I didn’t know who or what duties for the most part. There was no specific email address that I could find for posting setup issues/concerns, and to be perfectly honest, I was fed up with waiting for something that in my opinion should have been taken care of before the end of the day on Friday. So I took the *drastic* action of asking a friend to post a polite query in the admin.general group, since I was under the impression that was where polite queries to the admins about general issues were supposed to go.

Jeff