 Trains / 24766
Re: Compressionism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:35:25 GMT

A very close friend has been recently teaching me a lot about not trying to
change others. It's hard for me and as I try grow in this particular direction I
have become more sensitive to it and I see it in most everyone. :)

I think that we should all pick our goals and strive for them to the best of our
ability. And conversely embrace others that don't particularly have the same
goals, there are always lessons to be learned from each other. Often the best
ones come from thinking about a problem from a different angle. This is evident
in the plethora of fantastic MOCs out there. And there is no shortage in any of
the styles; 2 thru 14 wide, etc...

For me I enjoy the challenge of 6 wide selective compression. I think Larry said
something like, "Try to invoke the feeling of the train." That is pretty much my
approach. As for running well, that is a must for me(1). Train operation is
first on my list, which given the current track selection offers a fun
opportunity for some clever engineering.

SteveB

(1) I brought a German inspired steam engine and tri-axle coaches to LEGO World
in 03 and was honored to run it on Ben's area. To my embarrassment it started to
run poorly and I have been quite embarrassed ever since! I SWEAR IT RAN GREAT
BEFORE I LEFT THE US, DAMN BAGGAGE HANDLERS!!!  :)

In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:

I'm curious about how do the LEGO train community feel with compressionism ?

Didier

I felt uncomfortable with compressionism (for my own MOCs) and I prefered not
compress, choosing between staying stuck in 6-wide or not running my trains
on difficult layout (uneven, curved,...). This thread (and Steve's beautiful
colored compressed coaches) change my mind and I hope it will increase my
creativity in the future.

Thank you for your answers.

Didier