 Trains / 24748
Re: Compressionism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:45:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   <Throws bucket of cold water on the whole 6-wide vs. 8-wide posturing...>

Build what you like. If it runs, great! If not, either live with it, or rebuild it.

My take is as long as the ‘trainheads’ recognize what I’m trying to build, I’ve done a good job.

Compression is an art - trying to distill the essence of what makes a model unique. For example: How many clubs have a home-made “Thomas” model on their layouts? (Lots!) And how many of those are identical? (None!) But, every kid that looks at it recognizes it as “Thomas”.

There’s no right and wrong way to build something, that’s the beauty of building Lego trains.

I beg to differ. My minifigs recently came out in protest against the increased noise levels and pollution of trialling a proposed 8-wide design. I didn’t have enough green 1x2 tiles with ‘100’ print to contest the issue so will be sticking to 6-wide for the forseeable future.

Jason R

At least you’ve tried it Jason. A lot of the critics of wider trains haven’t had a decent go at it. It takes tenacity to make it work. I’ve been at it for 9 years now!

If Lar is waiting for wider radius curves before trying it, let’s see his petition to TLC for those curves! Is it 120 studs radius you’ll need Lar? :-)

I’m happy that proponents of different train sizes each have different aims. It allows us to each succeed without any detrement to one another. Remember that this news group is for promoting Lego trains!

I quite accept that four curves together is too tight for bigger wagons. I’ve done the three-penny bit curves for ages and they work well enough. They’ve not caused me any derailments and they actually add interest at model railway shows, particularly showing how the bogies are articulated.

I stick to the “no two curves together” rule, except in sidings where only small vehicles will go. The same was true in brewery yards years ago, as illustrated by a book I have, with a notice at the entrance to the yard saying “Only 0-4-0 engines beyond here”. Most main-line diesel engines are built to go round curves of not less than 3.5 chains (77ft), with the GM-built Class 66 (JT42CWR) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=742620 having a minimum radius of 80m, which is 262ft or 11.9 chains! In 8mm:1ft scale, Lego curves are 40ft radius, and I space them out to 80ft or 120ft, but 262ft (6 straights or more between each curve) is beyond the limits of space in a house!

Reaching the right compromise on clearances, curvature, articulation and the like is part of the fun. It brings more engineering into the hobby. If there was no technical challenge, I’d find something else that had one.

I’ll just let the trains speak for themselves. They’re good enough for me to win prizes in the model railway community and be invited back to shows. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=62749

Mark