 Trains / 24709
Re: Compressionism (D&RGW coach set)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:48:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:

Well I finally completed a coach set I have been dreaming about building for years.

Hi Steve,

I just agree the positive feedback posted in this thread. These coaches look great and, more important than anything else, you seems having fun to build them. (I particularly like the color scheme (aka livery) :-))

One point I am still curious is the “compressionism”.

Many rolling stocks MOCs (not only 8wide but also 6wide) are compressed. I understand the aim is to make the trains to fit perfectly with the curved tracks but it has some consequences, for instance an oversized undercarriage gap : the trucks (boggies) looks to big, the base too high. This point can be seen on this picture : http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SEBarile/coaches/DRG/p1010623.jpg

and compressionism just don’t respect the scale... I’m curious about how do the LEGO train community feel with compressionism ?

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Didier

I think it depends on what you are trying to acheive. In this example Steve has used compression pretty well, its not as a compressed as a Lego designed train but he has managed to chop a considerable amount out without it looking ‘wrong’ (including two sets of wheels!) However I know what you mean when you say that compression put things out of proportion, the length is reduced but the gap under the coach is still the same height. Looking at the photo of the HO model you can see that the body sits lower on its bogies/trucks than it is possible in Lego. The underframe detail is pretty sparse on these coaches, however perhaps what there is needs to emphasised rather than compressed in this case. Its a question of getting the balance right. The nature of Lego, especially the tight radius of the tracks means that if you don’t compress it can end up looking a bit silly. Legopapi’s beautiful scale Silberling coaches illustrate this perfectly. One solution to this is the one Mark Bellis uses, all his curves are made up with a straight between each curve. (he builds stuff pretty big too)! With Lego, the maxim ‘If it looks right it is right’ is especially true. However much you try to build to scale, its still Lego and things are going to be out of proportion, its a question of fooling the eye so that it ‘looks right’

Tim