 Trains / 24738
Re: D&RGW coach set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
I LOVE constructive criticism!!!!! I really appreciate the time and effort that
it takes!

Me too.

This is my first time using stickers rather than water slide decals and I kind
of don't like them! So you obviously picked up on that vibe. I have some
techniques to adhere them straight but to get it absolutely right it's nearly
impossible.

I have the same issue there... How do you apply them? I have found a technique
that helps, somewhat... (maybe you use it already, I dunno).

Take your clean and oil free Xacto brand model knife and put the corner of the
sticker on the tip of the blade, one mm**2 is enough area... the sticker will
usually stand out straight from the knife.

Maneuver the sticker's other end to where you want it. since it's on the knife
this is easier to get right as you have better control... when that side is
where you want (aligned with the brick horizontally and vertically) tack it down
gently. Not TOO hard because you want it to be able to wiggle.

Now lower the other side of the sticker (that's still on the knife blade) down,
slowly, keeping it aligned. Use this time to possibly pull a little to
straighten/twist the other end in case you tacked it down not quite parallel to
the direction you wanted the sticker to run.

When it's down and aligned right, pull the blade out (that's why 1 mm**2 is the
right amount of surface area to use) and press it down hard.

If, on the other hand, it didn't go down well, don't press it at all. Instead
use the blade which is still attached) to peel the sticker back up and try
again. If you are gentle you can get another try with NO damage at all to the
sticker.

In fact all those brick lines really exacerbate the issue. To make
matters worse the invisible background is very visible, especially with certain
light glare. It seems that even if the text is straight relative to the train
lines but the sticker is not cut straight relative to the text then it looks
crooked even though the text is straight; sort of a no win situation. Maybe I'll
and the background is nearly transparent, they do tend to scratch far too easily
though.

That's the downside. You can spray solvaset on and etc but that's messy and non
LEGO.

I hate the coupling issue too. I'd say that was a post design issue that I
discovered only after building a couple and actually putting them together on
the track (duh... perhaps I should have thought about it a bit sooner, live and
learn).

WHAT? You didn't test that all out before you had more than a frame and trucks?

If we were all in the same room I'd call
for a group hug.... cause that's the kind of guy I am! ;D

Er, SHUT UP!