 Trains / 24713
Re: Compressionism (D&RGW coach set)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:32:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:

   and compressionism just don’t respect the scale... I’m curious about how do the LEGO train community feel with compressionism ?

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I see it as just about mandatory to do anything useable, and still have bricks left over. Replicating every window, every seat, every rivet is just not possible, so leave some out, as long as the feeling is evoked you’ve succeeded.

For instance in my diner I have only 3 tables, seating for 6... not very prototypical but it’s still a diner and evokes the feel of the Super Chief diner.

Agreed.

Part of the skill (and fun) in building anything real in Lego is to leave in what is essential to the character and leave out what you can get away with to ensure functionality.

So, the skill required is beyond simply making something to scale.and arguably a wider ranging skill than traditional model-making..

I’m certainly a ‘leave this window out but make the others look right’ bloke.

Jon Reynolds