 Trains / 24729
Re: Compressionism (D&RGW coach set)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:07:00 GMT

Samarth Moray wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:

With engines I always try to build to scale as far as possible, with
coaches this usually isn't possible due to length vs curve radius and a
few other practical limitations. Around 50-60 studs would be the max for
length of any rail vehicle. Otherwise you'll get something like this :
The cars look great, but are impossible to run in a miniland layout.

I think it all boils down to what PURPOSE you want your train MOC to have.
Whether you want it to be just a beautiful display piece, to run on a
layout, or hey, even a mixture of the two. A good example of the former
would be this model (IMO) and/or Shaun Sullivan's Hudson (see the .trains
sidebar) and a good example of the latter would be Lar's ATSF, or any
James Mathis stuff, or official TLC stuff too.

I usually want it to do both...
My Gls box cars & all my engines are pretty much uncompressed. If I look at
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album339/containerbahnhof_luigi_02?full=1 ,
by Ludger Havighorst, I also see true-to-scale trains which run fine. It's
just a matter of picking out a model which lends itself to modelling in
LEGO.

Selective compression is quite hard to do right in LEGO, and I agree with
Larry about the best way (ie leaving windows out instead of shrinking
them), although we might differ on the maximum amount.

It's one of the things I also mentioned in my article for RailMagazine (also
posted in English in the ILTCO library) : you need to be able to hit the
'feel' of the model, never mind the number of rivets. And that's an art,
not a science, that much I've learned.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/