 Trains / 24714
Re: Compressionism (D&RGW coach set)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:07:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:

   and compressionism just don’t respect the scale... I’m curious about how do the LEGO train community feel with compressionism ?

Personally, I try and avoid it like the plague. I consider building 6 wide trains an (unnecessary) exercise in width compression. Of all the types of compression, this particular one makes a train look wonky IMO. There is just no getting around the fact that the train width should be about twice the width of the track gauge (normally in the US at least). Having them be virtually the same width is makes them appear too toyish, which is okay if that is the look one is after. That is not what I’m after.

So I will find schematics of what I want to build and adhere to them as closely as is possible. Because the fact is that no matter how closely I can get to the exact proportions of a prototype, it will still look relatively unrealistic because it is built from LEGO, not scale materials. That is what I love-- it looks “real” and “unreal” all at the same time. This effect has been perfected in the minilands, and the joy is in the suspension of believe.

JOHN