 Trains / 24731
Re: Compressionism (D&RGW coach set)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:26:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

   While I tend to agree with you, and I build to ‘scale’, I actually think that producing a compressed but right looking model is harder. While you avoid some of the problems of building to scale (need for more brick, problems with corners, etc) you give yourself an artistic challenge in a way that I find difficult to deal with. This is why I admire the models of those that can so much, they are doing something I can’t do.

I know what you mean. When I see a fine compressed train, as in a James Mathis creation, the word that comes to my mind is “cute”. LEGO train sets are “cute”. In particular, I remember loving the cuteness of the Club Car when it first came out. In fact, I loved the cuteness of the whole 9 volt line back in ‘91. But now, cuteness isn’t an objective of mine when I build.

   tim (Don’t take this as critism of your stuff, I admire that as well!)

lol none taken. I realize that many people still love the cuteness of 6 wide trains and fear the big, bad 8 wides;-) To each his own.

JOHN